Thursday, April 28, 2011

Reflection on Service Learning

   My service learning experience was to research, detail and expand on a given time period while tying in a subject of an unexplained skull found under the Price House in Punta Gorda, Florida. This assignment helped me understand the diversity and layers that Southwest Florida’s history contains. I also reflected weekly on my natural environment. This gave me better comprehension of my town and the agriculture surrounding my neighborhood. I see it while driving to work and I see it every time I go outside but it is rare to take a moment to truly examine one’s surroundings. The emotional and analytical responses to such simple assignments are astounding and surprising to say the least. These experiences tied in directly to the coursework have helped me to better reflect on more global topics from my local perspective. I have now learned to see the big picture from small sized puzzle piece perspectives. I now can appreciate preserving the natural environment more because I see that my choices can directly affect me, my local environment, and my community. The content of the University Colloquium gave me the perspective I needed to achieve my goals and better understanding that was needed to complete my off campus service learning assignment. I don’t think the work we did as a class will directly affect social change, however I do believe what we learned in class has changed students enough to contribute their whole lives to the change that is needed to affect our society. Success is in numbers and changing a class’s perspective can be enough to eventually induce a social change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment