Monday, March 14, 2011

Personal Journal #5

   In class this week I read a chapter from "State of the World," entitled "Broadening the Understanding of Security."  I reflected upon the topic as I went out for my walk around the neighborhood.  I passed by some pastures and down to my local gas station.  This chapter is basically about humanity and poses the question can it rally around a common goal/purpose and leave behind its history of costly conflicts and divisions?  As I passed by the gas station this idea rolled around in my head. Outside the gas station sat several drunks who frequent that area and on most days can be seen on the side of the building on top of milk crates. I was thinking, if society can not come together to fix problems locally such as homelessness, vagrancy and alcoholism then how can we expect to discard our intercontinental issues and come to any major world changing agreements? America is a good representation of multiple countries coming together because we ourselves  are a melting pot of many races, creeds and backgrounds. With that in mind, I look around and see that right now I don't believe we can come together as one voice until the situation is dire.  That is just the natural case of human beings. We must be forced into making changes because our lives are built on convenience and accessibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment